Friday 7 March 2014

Stereotyping Young Mothers

Hey everyone,
Sorry I haven't written a blog in days... I've been kinda outta ideas on posts. 

This blog I'm going to write is about people who Stereotype young mothers.

Everyone stereotypes someone at one point in their life, but ever notice how often young mothers get stereotyped? 
If you shook your head or answered yes.. Your right we do. 

The looks I got when I was pregnant were HORRIBLE. I was looked at like I was an alien from space.. I couldn't go to a mall, a resturant or even work without someone making a comment or giving dirty looks.. 
Why? Cause with a big belly I was automatically being stereotyped as a young and dumb teenager that wouldn't grow up and be a good mother.. 
What Id like for people to know is age doesn't define how good of a mother you'll be, or how much love you'll give your child.. Cause I'll be honest there are young mothers who don't give a crap about their children, and rather leave them with their grandparents and go out every weekend to party, BUT not all young mothers do this!!! I know a handful of young mommies that are with their child twenty four seven / 7 days a week! I never leave my daughter unless it's for like 2 hours to go shopping! I've been out once at night her whole entire 5 months of life !!! So should I be categorized under the young and dumb teenager that stupidly got pregnant ? NO! 

P.s i am not saying that parents shouldn't go out, cause that isn't the case at all everyone needs time for themselves.

Apparently since we are young mothers, if our kid is crying something is always wrong. GOD FORBID your child starts crying in a mall, you'll be told your child is hungry and this and that . Yes strangers I'm so sure because your 40 and I'm 20 I have no idea why MY child is crying.. WRONG AGAIN! Just because you have more years on young mothers does not mean you know how to take care of my child... Cause let's face it, you don't. 

Example: I was at Vaughn mills with my cousin Priti. We were both pregnant and she had her 8 month old with her. The baby started crying, cause you know BABIES CRY ITS NORMAL! Boy oh boy, the looks and comments we got.... An old man came up to us and said "he's hungry feed him".. Wait a second ? Last I checked she had it completely under control, and no he wasn't hungry he didn't wanna be in the stroller.. Stupid.
I forgot to mention, my cousin Does not fall into young mother categories, she 25 and people think she's like a teenager and can't Handel her kids...

Now, this is a time that I got really really upset.. I was on the subway, and in Canada, there are ALOT OF people WITH NO CONSIDERATION.. I got called a welfare case.. Oh look again, because I'm young I'm being stereotyped that I'm poor. Wrong. I've had a job since 14 and NO I DONT RECEIVE WELFARE! I don't get it just because I look young makes you think I don't have a job??? Before people judge you really should get to know the persons story.. Cause this situation affected me the most!! Knowing I've worked my ass off for my maternity leave, and I get called a welfare case.. Not cool

I'd just like to say that you should never define a mother by her age, that is not right. Yes it's hard, but it'll be just as hard when your 30! Motherhood doesn't get easier, it gets harder. Oh and if you have no kids please do not try and give advice on how to raise mine.. Just cause your older with a college degree doesn't mean you can tell me how to raise my child when you haven't tried raising yours yet.

Now I could go on and on about people who stereotype young mothers, but I will honestly be here untill 2025... So I will stop here! POINT IS: stop it. Just like judging and stereotyping other people is wrong. Young mommies don't deserve it!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment